Underwriter - Housing Assistance Program
RIHousing – Underwriter - Housing Assistance Program
Temporary Position - $48.00 per hour
This is an in-office position - in Providence RI - no remote work
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This grant-funded, temporary position is accountable for ensuring that all Homeowner Assistance Fund awards conform to federal, state, and IRS regulations and Rhode Island Housing program requirements. This is achieved through prudent analysis of borrower-furnished documentation and credit and income analysis. This position will continue while the program is funded.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- This position performs the Homeowner Assistance Fund processing, underwriting, and preclosing functions. The underwriter ensures that award decisions are in compliance with IRS, federal/state regulations, and program requirements. Incumbent determines borrower’s program eligibility, loan servicer/lender’s participation, and examines documentation to determine borrower’s hardship. The applicant’s income, assets, and existing mortgage(s) are reviewed to determine appropriate assistance. The underwriter must have an understanding of federal modification programs and/or the appropriate lender/servicer’s property modification program to ensure that the lender and homeowner qualify for HAF assistance.
- The underwriter approves, denies the applications or refers them for management decision based on prudent underwriting decisions.
- Input data into the program portal in an accurate and timely manner.
- Work with local and national mortgage servicers to find the best solutions for homeowners.
- Minimum three years experience in mortgage or consumer loan processing
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, real estate, or related field preferred
- First mortgage underwriting experience is not required
- Knowledge of Conventional and Government-Insured mortgage programs
- Knowledge of federal loan modification programs and loss mitigation tools
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, strong analytical, computer, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Bilingual preferred
- Mission Driven Organization
- Dedicated Workforce
- Competitive salary
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021,2022
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2021
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.