Assistant Director, Donor Events and Engagement
Assistant Director, Donor Events and Engagement
The assistant director, donor events and engagement assist with the coordination and implementation of an institution-wide, comprehensive donor experience and engagement program. The position concentrates on development events and engagement vehicles that appropriately and consistently promote interaction with and recognition of University of Rhode Island donors. The assistant director closely collaborates with campus partners and other URI Foundation & Alumni Engagement (URIFAE) staff to support the University’s priorities and strategic initiatives through meaningful donor experiences.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated and driven by a personal commitment to the highest professional standards in a team environment. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to contribute to the URIFAE team during an ambitious comprehensive campaign.
- Assists the Office of Donor Relations and Engagement in defining, implementing, and managing donor relations and stewardship programs by offering specific expertise for in-person, hybrid, and virtual event planning and stewardship communications.
- Focuses on providing a first-class philanthropic experience for all donors by leveraging digital and in-person engagement to effectively build and deepen relationships.
- Strategizes, develops, and executes annual donor events including, but not limited to the donor loyalty appreciation event, RhodyNow leadership event, Oliver Watson Society event, college-based scholarship and recognition events, and campaign-related events, as well as one-time, custom donor events and engagement opportunities.
- Develops and implements event production plans and schedules, coordinating with marketing and communications colleagues regarding print and digital collateral. Collaborates to integrate key messaging tailored to event audiences in all collateral and scripting. Assists with presidential briefing materials as needed.
- Creates new and innovative programs that promote donor engagement and recognition.
- Focuses on developing plans to measure the success of signature events and analyzes the effectiveness of events compared to goals. Leads debriefing sessions with key constituents and produces post-event reports for leadership.
- Collaborates with colleagues to develop and execute post-event communications and calls to action that deepen attendees’ engagement with the University.
- Assists with the planning and execution of VIP/top donors’ visits to campus, providing a red-carpet engagement experience in line with established protocol and expectations.
- Represents URIFAE in the planning of signature University events that provide opportunities for strategic engagement with prospects and donors, including but not limited to Alumni Family Weekend, Distinguished Achievement Awards, building/space dedications, and athletic events.
- Partners with marketing and communications to coordinate the execution of collateral/printed materials, web-based communications, and social media to systematically steward donors, including but not limited to birthday cards, Thanksgiving cards, impact reports, and donor surveys.
- Coordinates and leads monthly event collaboration meetings with Alumni Engagement and University Events.
- Serves as a campus contact for donor inquiries, helping to resolve problems, maximize positive engagement, and answer questions.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Experience with planning and executing high-end events of all sizes, managing budgets, sourcing and managing vendors, and managing event communications.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively with a positive attitude, and prioritize assignments in a fast-paced, high- production environment.
- Must be proactive, detailed oriented, able to multi-task, and prioritize an often-shifting workload.
- Ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple projects.
- Ability to take on other duties as assigned on short notice.
- Expected to work with limited supervision, communicate status of projects, identify problems, and seek guidance from supervisor for resolving issues.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Maintains confidentiality and exhibits discretion and professionalism.
- Ability to represent URIFAE with external stakeholders and work effectively with colleagues at every level including the president of the University and URIFAE, members of the Board, and Trustees.
- Occasional nights/weekends for select events may be required.
A bachelor’s degree is required with a minimum of three years’ experience, preferably in donor relations, events, stewardship, or related field. The highest degree of professionalism and discretion in dealing with donors and potentially sensitive matters of donor confidentiality is required.
If you don’t fit all these qualifications, education, or experience, but believe you are still a great fit, feel free to apply and tell us why in your cover letter.
Join the URIFAE team!
Join our team of advancement and engagement professionals. We offer competitive benefits, including medical, dental and vision, generous paid time off, and unparalleled retirement savings programs. One benefit that URIFAE does not participate in is the University of Rhode Island tuition waiver program.
To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at URIFAE are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. URIFAE does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic characteristics or any other characteristic protected by law.