RIHousing – Communications Specialist
Salary Range- $50,585.00 - $70,661.04
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
As a part of RIHousing’s Communications & Marketing team, the Communications Specialist is responsible for supporting the implementation of the Agency’s external and internal communications and marketing activities in advance of RIHousing’s mission. This position works under the direction of the Manager of Communications and Brand Strategy to implement initiatives related to various public relations, community outreach, and communications plans.
The incumbent will be responsible for developing public-facing content, such as speaking points and press releases, and executing day-to-day activities relating to RIHousing’s communication efforts, such as developing newsletters and updating the external website. The incumbent will work with various departments within the Agency to gather information and understand the department’s external communication needs. The overriding goal of this position is to ensure that the people of Rhode Island are aware of the services available to them and the importance of healthy, affordable homes in building strong communities and successful individuals.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Create and edit content for various communication channels, including press releases, speaking points, newsletters, website updates, and other communications and public relations materials for varied audiences, including customers, partners, elected officials, and members of the general public.
- Review communications materials produced by the agency to ensure they meet agency standards.
- Coordinate with internal departments to gather information and updates for communication materials, ensuring accuracy and consistency in messaging.
- Track news media coverage of the agency and manage media contact lists.
- Help develop and implement various public information, media relations, and communications initiatives.
- Assist in coordinating and executing public-facing events, trainings, and workshops such as groundbreaking and ribbon cuttings.
- Keep up to date on public relations best practices and strategies.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Minimum one year of experience in communications/PR, or a relevant field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including copy editing, proofreading, and research, are required.
- Exceptional attention to detail in grammar and misspellings
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills and demonstrated ability to work under deadlines, take initiative and drive projects to completion.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient with MS Office platforms, including Excel and PowerPoint; familiarity with design software (Adobe Photoshop, Canva, etc.), WordPress, and marketing automation software tools (HubSpot) is a plus.
- A willingness to learn and obtain new skill sets.
- Please submit a writing sample with the application
Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide!
- Mission-Driven Organization
- Dedicated Workforce
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Flexible Work Hours
- If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
- PBN’s Worksite Health Award 2013-2023
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.
RIHousing uses its resources to provide low-interest loans, grants, education, and assistance to help Rhode Islanders find, rent, buy, build, and keep a good home. Created by the General Assembly in 1973, RIHousing is a privately funded public-purpose corporation. RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island's housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners, and fellow employees.