RIHousing – Senior Counsel
Salary Range $111,302.40 - $161,061.12
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position provides high level legal advice and counsel and represents RIHousing in legal matters pertaining to commercial real estate transactions, corporate governance, litigation, statutory and regulatory interpretation, policy issues and compliance in order to minimize risk exposure to the agency.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Provide legal advice, interpretation, and counsel to RIHousing division staff with respect to real estate, development, finance, human resources, homeownership, loan servicing, intergovernmental relations and policy, state, and federal rental programs, as well as general corporate and corporate governance matters.
- Exercising a high degree of professional discretion, provide oversight and responsibility for supporting one (1) or more of the four (4) major business units, namely the Division of Real Estate Development, and one (1) or more of the support units of RIHousing, as assigned by the General Counsel or Deputy General Counsel.
- Represent RIHousing and/or manage outside legal counsel in various litigation and adversarial proceedings as assigned by General Counsel.
- Responsible for attending Board of Commissioner meetings or committees of the Board to respond to procedural and legal issues and drafting, reviewing and/or presenting corporate resolutions for consideration by the Board of Commissioners or committees of the Board.
- Responsible for independently drafting and/or reviewing requests for proposals (RFPs) and other agreements, forms, policies related to RIHousing programs and ensuring that all documents comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations.
- Negotiate, prepare, review, approve and interpret contracts, real estate and loan documents and other legal instruments using independent judgment.
- Perform document review for financial, real estate, commercial transactions and the procurement and purchasing process to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies.
- Represent the corporation in mediations, hearings, audits, or fact-finding discussions with representatives of other government agencies.
- Perform other duties and special projects as may be assigned by the General Counsel or Deputy General Counsel.
What you’ll bring to the team:
This position is responsible for providing substantive legal advice and services to RIHousing division staff on a broad range of issues affecting the agency, including real estate, development, commercial lending homeownership, loan servicing, intergovernmental relations and policy, state, and federal rental programs, as well as general corporate and governance matters. The position is responsible for providing legal advice related to insurance, employment, environmental, landlord-tenant, regulatory compliance, commercial transactions, general real estate, and other legal matters impacting the business of the corporation. At the Senior Counsel level, the incumbent exercises significant independent judgment.
Senior Counsel is relied upon to identify legal priorities for the Legal Department, execute corporate transactions, and resolve legal matters in a largely self-directed manner and exercising an advanced level of decision-making ability. The position is also responsible for managing and training legal staff and developing training materials to support corporate compliance efforts on such topics as may be identified by the General Counsel. The position coordinates the activities of outside counsel as necessary to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and to protect the interests of RIHousing. This may include developing litigation strategy, managing and negotiating resolutions or settlements as appropriate, and assisting with mediation activities. This position is charged with ensuring that RIHousing fulfills its corporate filings and public organization responsibilities, including but not limited to open meeting and access to public information obligations, public corporate filing reports, public notices, and hearing requests. Senior Counsel will also provide advice on other legal matters as may be assigned by the General Counsel or Deputy General Counsel.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Minimum five (5) years of experience as an attorney, either in a law firm, in-house or government entity preferred, with consideration given for exceptional academic, internship or clerkship performance, or other relevant professional qualifications.
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school; admission to the Rhode Island Bar required.
- Demonstrated knowledge in general legal principles and transactions.
- Ability to analyze, research and respond to complex issues in a multi-participant environment; experience in real estate, administrative, tax, bond, corporate, and banking/finance law, affordable housing finance and development, federal rental subsidy and production programs preferred; work product must reflect mastery of the subject matter and professional-level writing abilities; strength in a broad set of legal skills such as contract drafting, client counseling and group presentations.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, strong computer and organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with colleagues and supervisory staff at all levels.
- Excellent negotiation skills and ability to foster consensus among individuals with differing opinions and perspectives.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, establish priorities, and work successfully in a fast-paced environment.
- Mission Driven Organization
- Dedicated Workforce
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Flexible Work Hours
- If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2021
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.