RIHousing – Junior Accountant
Pay Rate - $23.02 - $32.23/hour
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position is responsible for daily accounting functions and accurate and timely postings of financial transactions for RIHousing’s various programs as well as support for the Finance Division. The position is responsible for maintaining records and accounts, analyzing ledgers, preparing wire transfers, and processing cash receipts, cash disbursements and grant activity.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Monitor and analyze grant expenditures, and maintain records of financial transactions related to grant programs
- Prepare and provide financial reports for grant drawdowns, quarterly requirements, and ad hoc requests
- Perform daily and monthly reconciliations
- Perform financial closeouts of grant awards
- Process and apply cash receipts.
- Process disbursements including check requests, ACH payments and wire transfers.
- Enter data into the general ledger and subsidiary systems in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare invoices and generate financial reports.
- Prepare and file compliance and other reports such as government compliance, grant compliance, IRS forms etc.
- Performs special projects/research as needed.
- Understand the applicable policies, procedures, controls, and authorization levels as the relate to the Junior Accountant’s job function.
What you’ll bring to the team:
The responsibilities of the position include data entry, application of cash receipts, processing of accounts payable, recording grant activity, daily and monthly reconciliations, financial reporting, and research. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Provide grant accounting functions including tracking awards by sub-recipients, review, approval, and processing of grant disbursements in accordance with grant award budgets and requirements. Provide financial reporting and award closeouts as needed. This includes the ability to understand and adhere to grant requirements and to take initiative to resolve problems and work effectively with various stakeholders across the organization.
Maintain accurate accounting records and controls by following policies and procedures; complying with federal, state, and local financial and legal requirements.
Perform customer service functions in a professional manner. Customer service interaction includes both internal and external customers. Communicates with servicers, trustees, vendors, grant program coordinators and other government agencies.
Prepare reports as required by Treasury, State of RI, HUD, IRS or RIHousing management. Such reporting may include grant reporting and compliance related to audits, IRS Forms 1098 and 1099 reporting and reporting to Loan servicing and Home ownership departments.
Ability to work under time pressure and adherence to deadlines are important for success in this role. Ability to independently manage priorities.
Recognize peak times and complete high volume of tasks and seek additional tasks and opportunities for cross training during low volume periods. Participate in special projects or research as required.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration or related field is preferred
- 2-3 years experience in accounting functions such as accounts payable/receivable or cash management
- Experience working with grants and understanding of federal and state award requirements preferred
- Knowledge of federal/state housing assistance programs ideal
- Hands on experience working with general ledger and ERP systems
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, detail-oriented
- Ability to work in multi-project environment and adhere to deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft excel
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2019
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.