RIHousing – Intake Specialist
Salary Range – $ 50,585.60 - $ 66,884.94
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position is accountable for the administration of admissions and occupancy procedures for the Housing Choice Voucher Program in accordance with appropriate federal (HUD) and state regulations.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Incumbent is responsible for the timely leasing of all Housing Choice Vouchers, which may include project-based vouchers. Incumbent’s responsibilities will include the maintenance of appropriate program wait lists, eligibility screening, and change/modification of admissions process to meet HUD requirements and corporation business needs.
- The incumbent must be well versed in all aspects of the Housing Choice Voucher program, keeping current on changes in federal/state regulations. Incumbent performs file documentation review and follow up; processes third party verification forms; determine rent reasonableness, negotiate contract rents, calculate and approve housing assistance payments and tenant rental amounts; prepares appropriate documentation/correspondence, and enters data into system.
- Conduct briefing sessions and/or individual interviews with owners, applicants and new clients to discuss eligibility requirements and to explain program guidelines, as required.
- Incumbent will provide guidance to the Program Representatives in resolving admissions/occupancy issues and resolves the more complex matters through proper interpretation of program regulations, internal policies and/or legal documentation as necessary.
- Incumbent will maintain a positive working relationship with various state agencies, non-profit organizations, owners and public housing authorities to ensure applicant eligibility and program compliance.
- This position will assist the HCVP Supervisor in drafting, editing, and revising procedures manuals and program documentation, and compiles various statistical reports, performs special projects as assigned, and provides appropriate program training.
- Perform admissions and occupancy procedures in accordance with federal (HUD) and state regulations
- Perform all duties related to voucher lease up including waiting list maintenance, eligibility screening, and updating processes to meet HUD requirements.
- Serve as a liaison with the Centralized Wait List Specialist to select applicants to provide vouchers to qualified applicants.
- Incumbent will perform file documentation review and follow up; processes third party verification forms; determines rent reasonableness, negotiates contract rents, calculates and approves housing assistance payments and tenant rental amounts; prepares appropriate documentation/correspondence, and enters data into system.
- Assist in drafting, editing and revising procedures manuals and program documentation, and compile various statistical reports.
- Perform special projects as assigned and provide program training to staff and external partners.
- Five years related housing management experience.
- Working knowledge of HUD regulations related to the Housing Choice Voucher program.
- Good verbal and written communications skills, along with good organizational, negotiations, and computer skills
- Property management certification strongly preferred.
- Associate degree in real estate, business administration or related field preferred; and/or equivalent work experience required.
- Bilingual ability preferred (particularly Spanish or Portuguese)
- Use of personal vehicle, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance is required.
- Mission-Driven Organization
- Dedicated Workforce
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Flexible Work Hours
- If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
- PBN’s Worksite Health Award 2013-2023
- PBN’s Diversity Equity Inclusion Award 2023
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.