Assistant Director, Leased Housing & Rental Services
RIHousing – Assistant Director, Leased Housing & Rental Services
Salary $99,723.70 - $144,306.06
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position is accountable for oversight of the Leased Housing and Rental Services Division. Incumbent manages the operations and administration of rental subsidies and staff workflow; establishes and maintains performance standards; develops and implements appropriate training programs; and provides assistance in resolving complex operational and human resource issues. The position will also be responsible for the cost-effective asset management of RIHousing’s multifamily loan portfolio financed by a variety of sources including but not limited to bond proceeds; Low Income Housing Tax Credits (“LIHTC”) and HOME funds. The position is responsible to ensure compliance with federal, state, lender, and insurer regulations. The incumbent will provide leadership and direction to asset management and compliance staff with clear policies and procedures that will ensure exceptional results in asset management of the multifamily portfolio and compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Manage the daily operations of the asset management and compliance teams to ensure quality standards are met and RIHousing remains compliant with applicable laws, regulations, policies, and procedures with a particular focus on RIHousing’s role as contract administrator for HUD’s multifamily Section 8 portfolio in RI and as compliance monitoring agent for the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit program.
- Resolve complex asset management and compliance issues to minimize liability and risk exposure to RIHousing.
- Direct the work of the asset management and compliance teams to effectively monitor the physical and financial condition of assets in the multifamily portfolio.
- Mediate and/or resolve problems between landlords and residents, managing agents and owners as required ensuring compliance with applicable regulations.
- Ensure that all management/investor reports are prepared in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist the Division Director in overseeing other functions within the division and with financial/strategic planning as required.
What you’ll bring to the team:
- This position will have direct responsibility for oversight of staffing for the multifamily asset management and compliance team which includes HUD Performance Based Contract Administration, Low Income Housing Tax Credit and HOME program monitoring, financial asset management of RIHousing’s lending portfolio and ongoing monitoring of all ancillary rental programs. The incumbent ensures that all program activities and housing providers are maintaining compliance with federal and state regulations governing the programs.
- Incumbent keeps current on applicable federal/state laws and regulations, develops, and implements policies, procedures, and systems to effectively monitor the physical and financial condition of the multi-family portfolio, as well as units in other federal and state rental programs administered by RIHousing and the Leased Housing and Rental Services Division.
- Incumbent mediates and resolves problems between landlords and residents, development managing agents and owners, and provides training and technical assistance to developers, owners and managing agents.
- This position assists the Division Director in overseeing other functions within the Leased Housing and Rental Services Division on a daily basis. In this regard, the incumbent is well versed in all aspects of housing management including systems and technology, as well as the annual budgeting process. Incumbent maintains a good working relationship with the local and regional offices of HUD and the Internal Revenue Service, various state agencies and property managers, and represents RIHousing in community activities and industry organizations promoting a positive image.
- Incumbent must develop, implement, and enforce policies, procedures, rules, and regulations to ensure compliance with requirements of bond indentures, investors, HUD, FHA, USDA, LIHTC, and other federal/state agencies. In this regard, incumbent is required to keep current on applicable laws/regulations; advise staff of changes; and maintain current procedure manuals. This position is responsible for the review and approval of all management agreements, tenant selection plans and affirmative fair housing marketing plans, and as such should be knowledgeable of all State and Federal Fair Housing Laws.
- The incumbent is responsible to develop and maintain positive working relationships with a variety of external partners and vendors including attorneys, investors, private insurers, government agencies, multifamily property owners, multifamily property managers and appropriate trade organizations.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field with proven management and leadership experience.
- Minimum seven years of experience in managing assisted housing programs including staff supervision and training, with demonstrated knowledge of laws, regulations, and accounting guidelines for both federal and state rental housing programs.
- Experience in all aspects of multifamily asset management and compliance with demonstrated knowledge of investor accounting, customer service, default, financial audit, and federal housing regulations.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of laws, regulations and guidelines governing affordable multifamily rental housing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- Mission Driven Organization
- Dedicated Workforce
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Flexible Work Hours
- If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2021
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.