Assistant Director, Alumni Engagement
Assistant Director, Alumni Engagement
The University of Rhode Island Foundation & Alumni Engagement (URIFAE)
Under the direction of the vice president of alumni engagement, the assistant director will lead, create, market, implement, and evaluate a portfolio of assigned programs and experiences designed to inform, engage, and involve alumni, donors, parents, and friends, and advance the University’s mission.
These programs and experiences include, but are not limited to affinity reunions, signature events such as development and recognition programs, strategic engagement opportunities for young alumni and college and diversity programming, outreach, volunteer management, and support of the colleges and associated development colleagues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set goals and objectives for all assigned programs, create and manage associated budgets and update database as needed.
- Supervise, train, coach, develop, and evaluate staff.
- Work with the communications team to develop marketing and communications strategies for engagement opportunities and programs across multiple print and digital platforms. Develop and produce event materials in conjunction with the communications team and support staff.
- Develop meeting agendas, conduct meetings, generate minutes, and ensure follow-through of action items assigned at meetings.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team to effectively represent URI at various functions with campus administrators, key volunteers, donors, prospects, and other constituencies.
- Understand the impact of philanthropy and support fundraising initiatives.
- Manage a portfolio of prospects and utilize resources such as Gravyty to assist.
- Serve as staff liaison to development director(s) and their regional prospects and assist with programs that support the regional alumni engagement and development.
- Work closely with the donor relations and the prospect manager teams to engage alumni and to increase giving.
- Work collaboratively to create a strategic annual plan and ensure the plan is implemented. Propose and develop new methods of engagement through programs and experiences.
- Research and facilitate the successful planning and implementation of new trends in programming for high impact.
- Supervise staff who may include senior program managers, program managers, program specialists, student workers and/or support staff.
- Work with peers to assess staffing requirements; lead the hiring process as needed.
- Ensure staff develops skills and knowledge base to support future growth. Evaluate performance of staff and provide coaching.
- At the discretion of the vice president of alumni engagement, act as an ambassador at experiences. Travel to local, regional, and national alumni outreach and events (may include alumni events, donor events, athletic receptions and games, conferences and other engagements as necessary).
- Bachelor’s degree: advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of three to five years of related professional experience in non-profit or higher education is preferred.
- Demonstrates supervisory experience.
- Demonstrates experience in event planning, volunteer committee management, or marketing, preferably in one or more of the following: alumni engagement, non-profit management, development, public affairs, or public relations both in-person and virtual.
- Working knowledge of fundraising principles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and phone/email manner. Strong grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills are essential.
- Demonstrates ability to carry out complex verbal and written directions with accuracy and precise attention to detail.
- Strong time-management skills; ability to prioritize work under multiple deadlines and to deal with frequent changes.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and professionally interact with staff, faculty, vendors, volunteers, and guests and exercise discretion as appropriate.
- Strong interpersonal skills including experience building and maintaining relationships with a diverse network of individuals and organizations.
- Ability to travel, work weekends and evenings.
- Demonstrates experience with social media and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), personal computers, internet, printers, word processing, database management, and spreadsheet software.
Salary Range: $60,000-$70,000, depending on experience.
Join the URIFAE team!
Join our growing team of advancement and engagement professionals. We offer competitive benefits, including medical, dental and vision, generous paid time off and retirement savings programs. One benefit that URIFAE does not take part in is the University of Rhode Island tuition waiver program.
Send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
URIFAE Attn: Leo Perrone, Director of Human Resources, 73 Upper College Road, Kingston, RI 02881 or email it to us at URIFAEemail@example.com.
To provide equal employment and advance opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at URIFAE will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. URIFAE does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
University of Rhode Island Foundation & Alumni EngagementLeo Perrone