Trusts and Estates Manager
The URI Foundation & Alumni Engagement (URIFAE) seeks a collaborative and experienced development professional to serve as the Trusts and Estates Manager in the Office of Gift Planning & RhodyNow. Reporting to the sr. executive director, the trusts and estates manager will serve as the first point of contact between URIFAE and trusts and estates that make distributions to the University. In addition, this position is responsible for the preparation of documentation for charitable gift annuities and other life-income gifts and for managing the URIFAE relationship with all its life-income donors and beneficiaries. This position also stewards a portfolio of planned gift donors.
This is an exciting opportunity for an innovative and talented professional to contribute to the growth, evolution, and maturation of URI’s development organization, and to optimize the philanthropic potential of the University’s alumni, parents, and friends, in an ambitious comprehensive campaign. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, highly organized, and possesses strong research, analytical and relationship-building skills.
- Communicate with fiduciaries (executors, trustees, retirement plan administrators, etc.) and with URIFAE and University personnel for the purposes of tracking gifts from deceased donors and the status of open estates and trusts.
- Review probate documents, including inventories and accountings, for accuracy and content, including fees charged by attorneys and executors.
- Prepare gift planning illustrations and proposals for prospective donors and/or their advisors, and for major gifts fundraising staff to present to their prospects.
- Process checks and other distributions from estates and trusts, working with gift processing, the CFO and controller.
- Establish and maintain appropriate systems to provide data, including the preparation of monthly planned giving impact reports, to the sr. executive director and other URIFAE and University officers as needed.
- Prepare memoranda to be relied upon by the sr. executive director, CFO, and controller in relation to the URIFAE’s obligation to release fiduciaries from liability to URIFAE at the close of administration of a trust or estate.
- As integral part of gift planning team perform other administrative duties and other special projects as assigned by the sr. executive director.
- Assist the associate director and sr. executive director in implementation of a robust marketing plan as needed.
- Manage a select portfolio of planned giving donors for stewardship purposes.
- Partner with University development officers, faculty members, University officers, URIFAE Board members in the cultivation and solicitation of individual donors.
- Represent the URIFAE at advancement and University events as needed.
The ability to demonstrate leadership, take initiative, act independently and as a member of a team, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and prioritize is required. Good judgment, strong interpersonal skills, accuracy, attention to detail and discretion also required. Occasional evening/weekend work required. Thorough knowledge of PG Calc, Microsoft Office, email products, and Web browsers required. Technical knowledge of gift, estate and financial planning, as well as various planning options including outright gifts, securities, insurance, real estate, gifts in kind, etc., preferred.
Bachelor’s degree required. A minimum of three to five years of experience and demonstrated ability in trust and estate administration, preferably in higher education, is desired. Thorough knowledge of related laws and procedures and working knowledge of charitable trusts and charitable gifts preferred.
Join the URIFAE team!
Join our team of advancement and engagement professionals. We offer competitive benefits, including medical, dental and vision, generous paid time off, and unparalleled retirement savings programs. One benefit that URIFAE does not participate in is the University of Rhode Island tuition waiver program.
To provide equal employment and advance opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at URIFAE will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. URIFAE does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic characteristics or any other characteristic protected by law.
Send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
URI Foundation & Alumni Engagement
Attn: Leo Perrone, Director of Human Resources
79 Upper College Road
Kingston, RI 02881