Research Fellow, Narrative, Design & InnovationPart Time
Rhode Island School of Design is looking for a part-time term Research Fellow, Narrative, Design & Innovation to join its Research and Partnerships Office. RISD Research sustains the school’s culture of inquiry by offering a platform for research initiatives, providing opportunities for programming, training, and publication, and encouraging collaboration among students and faculty. With diverse types of research and partnerships, RISD Research contributes new insight and advance practice through the exploration of materials, techniques, contexts, and ideas. This position is an exciting opportunity to produce multimedia narrative content that amplifies voices, data, and debates in art, design, science, and social research.
The Narrative, Design & Innovation Fellow will have work responsibilities within the Research office in the area of narrative documentation, storytelling, report writing, visual and media design, and research innovations. The Fellow will also design a research project related to their interests and receive modest research funding to be used toward their research agenda. They may seek additional external sponsorship and choose to work individually or collaboratively. The position will offer an immersive experience for professional growth by the Fellow as community-engaged artists, designers, researchers, administrators, and thought leaders who are prepared for local and global impact. Fellows will be supported by and report to the Director for Research.
The Research Fellow for Narrative, Design & Innovation will perform the following work activities:
- Advise and collaborate with the Director in developing brand and editorial strategies that consistently and dynamically convey the purposes, activities, and goals of RISD Research.
- Produce multimedia narrative content that amplifies voices, ideas, data, and debates in art, design, science and social research, including highlights of RISD faculty and students for RISD Research Field Notes newsletter, websites, social media, and other communication channels.
- Collaborate in updating and maintaining RISD Research websites, social media, and communications.
- Develop presentations and webinars for use in training and reporting on research conduct and administration.
- Identify and follow trends in narrative design, research innovations, emergent and nontraditional research approaches. Write articles, reports, summaries, and white papers, citing evidence on topical issues.
- Develop a research project/portfolio related to interests. Maximize access to faculty and resources and align work with RISD strategic priorities of “just societies,” “sustainability,” and “new ways of making and knowing.”
- Contribute to positive cultivation and engagement of internal and external relations.
- Collaborate in planning and curation of speakers, symposiums, workshops, projects, webinars and events meant to connect RISD’s community to novel ideas, practices, and happenings across the research ecosystem.
- Supervise graduate assistants and undergraduate student workers in areas of writing, multimedia production, web, and social media, graphic design, online publishing, and distribution.
- Advise RISD students on issues such as sponsored research, qualitative methodologies, ethics, among other forms of guidance.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred)
- Experience with writing, editing, graphic design, print or digital media production
- Knowledge of qualitative research design or decolonial research methodologies and techniques, e.g., transformative, participatory, and Indigenous frameworks
- Experience working with BIPOC or other marginalized communities or in addressing anti-racism, social justice, or sustainability issues
- Experience organizing speakers, exhibitions, symposiums, and other programs and events
Click here for more information and to apply.