The John H. Chafee Center for International Business at Bryant University is a resource for students, businesses, organizations and individuals interested in global trade. Named for the late U.S. senator from Rhode Island – a long-time advocate for international trade and the benefits of introducing new markets to our nation’s businesses – the Center’s mission is to foster world trade through collaboration with the University’s academic programs, partnerships with state and federal entities, and outreach to the business community.
The international trade specialist is responsible for fostering and maintaining different business relationships, whether it’s a partner organization or a business looking to export. In partnership with R.I. Commerce’s Business Development team and the U.S. Commercial service, the trade specialist is accountable for attracting foreign direct investment to Rhode Island. The candidate will also work with the Center Director and appropriate state personnel to develop and execute an agreed-upon strategy, which includes targeting business sectors, geographies, and specific companies for FDI and export opportunities. Foremost among the tools that the candidate will use to accomplish this goal is the management of the World Trade Center’s Association Providence global network. The international trade specialist will be tasked with making sure FDI as well as exporting activity generated by the program along with their website are maximized. Other tools to accomplish outreach goals will include membership in associations related to FDI as needed. Note that the position is dependent on a yearly grant from the Rhode Island Commerce Corp., which is included as an appropriation in the state budget. The state FY23 budget has been enacted and includes the Chafee Center appropriation.
Bryant University is a private New England university with a tradition of innovation and a global vision for success. Our new strategic plan, Vision 2030 , sets a trajectory for the next decade through academic excellence, outstanding student life, competitive athletics and student outcomes among the nation’s top 1% for ROI.
- Develop programming that identifies and emphasizes the advantages of doing business in Rhode Island over other states.
- Leading, organizing, recruiting, and traveling with trade delegations to trade shows and trade missions abroad (staffing a RI booth at international trade shows).
- Identify, develop, and maintain relationships through the World Trade Center Providence’s network and other tools to provide a primary entry point for business attraction efforts to Rhode Island.
- Secure, and maintain relationships with partner organizations (Rhode Island Commerce, U.S. Commercial Service, WTCA, etc.) to support their efforts in building a referral network in RI for companies seeking international trade assistance.
- Generate business leads for the R.I. Commerce team (For example single location promotions or managing lead generation contacts) to convert into investment in the state, as well as for Chafee Center programs, including Practicum and consulting projects.
- Report monthly on FDI and export activities to the Center Director.
- Collaborate regularly with the Center’s Director in support of increasing International Trade and FDI in the state of Rhode Island.
- Maintain regular presence at R.I. Commerce and Chafee Center offices.
- Contribute ideas and suggest (and obtain) speakers for World Trade Day. Similarly, would take part in development and execution of international trade training programming.
- Other duties as assigned
Certain requirements are subject to possible accommodations to reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities.
This position is best filled by an individual with at least a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, as well as demonstrated experience in all phases of business, with domestic experience required, with international preferred. Digital marketing interest and expertise are desired. Excellent interpersonal skills are required to develop and maintain relationships between the Center, state and federal personnel, as well as with domestic and international enterprises looking to the Center for guidance on investing in or exporting from Rhode Island. Strong computer skills, including but not limited to knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Customer Relationship Management software and web applications are required. A working knowledge of Salesforce software is preferred. Trade show experience is preferred
Bryant University recognizes that its position as a leader in higher education is greatly determined both by the diversity of its campus community and its intellectual endeavors. Its commitment to link academic and social diversity for the benefit of the learning and living environment reflects its belief that excellence and diversity are mutually reinforcing objectives. We are committed to building an equitable and inclusive campus community, one that values individual difference and fosters greater understanding of the many facets of diversity and other distinctive characteristics that make us different. We encourage applications from candidates with an appreciation for and understanding of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Learn more about our ongoing commitment to building a community of inclusive excellence.
Standard Business Hours are M – F, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. This position may require evening and weekend hours in support of Chafee Center Programming.
Click here to apply.