Director of Development, College of Arts and Sciences
The URI Foundation & Alumni Engagement (URIFAE) is seeking an innovative and experienced development professional to serve as the director of development for the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS). The College of Arts and Sciences provides a 21st century liberal arts education enhanced by the resources and faculty expertise of a global research university. Programs include disciplines in the arts and design, communication and media, humanities, natural sciences and math, and behavioral and social sciences. Additionally, the director will manage a development associate and partner with them to support the deans of the College of Arts and Sciences and College of Education.
Reporting to the vice president for development, the director will help develop and contribute to a strategic, comprehensive, and proactive annual and major gift program that reflects industry best practices and maximizes charitable contributions via comprehensive gifts. This position requires an entrepreneurial and a creative approach to philanthropy to capitalize on opportunities across the University.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and collaborative professional to contribute to the growth and maturation of URIFAE, and to optimize the philanthropic potential of the University’s alumni, parents, and friends during an ambitious comprehensive campaign. The ideal candidate is passionate about liberal arts education, self-motivated, driven, highly organized, technologically savvy, and entrepreneurial. The ideal candidate also has experience in annual giving, has secured $100,000+ major gifts, and is skilled at navigating a complex university.
- Actively builds and manages a portfolio of donors and prospects with the capacity and inclination to be philanthropic leaders for the University of Rhode Island and CAS.
- Develops solicitation and closure strategies for leadership annual, major, and principal-level gifts ($10,000 - $1M+) with a focus on blended asks and multi-year commitments.
- Meets and exceeds cultivation and visit metrics (75+ visits annually), including moves management of primary portfolio.
- Collaborates with the URIFAE RhodyNow team on a comprehensive approach to grow CAS, Harrington School of Communication and Media, and the College of Education Impact Funds.
- Provides support and guidance for CAS, Harrington School of Communication and Media, and College of Education Advisory Councils.
- Develops and supports the volunteer leadership infrastructure in the CAS and College of Education.
- Collaborates with appropriate URIFAE staff and CAS leadership to develop and deliver specific major gift proposals to prospective donors, matching the donor’s philanthropic interests with current University priorities.
- Partners with the Donor Relations Office to ensure stewardship is provided to donors on existing endowment and current-use funds.
- Serves as a fundraising and engagement liaison to academic departments, institutes, and centers in CAS.
- Promotes a collegial atmosphere within URIFAE, CAS, and the University, working cooperatively with all fundraising staff to help them and URIFAE attain its overall financial and advancement goals.
- Participates in signature events at the University, including but not limited to Homecoming Weekend, Distinguished Achievement Awards, URI Day of Giving, Annual Donor Appreciation event, Golden Graduate Weekend, and athletic events.
- Participates in time-sensitive URIFAE activities as required, such as end-of-calendar-year and fiscal-year calling.
- Schedules appointments and oversees preparation of necessary materials, including funding proposals and briefings for senior officers and board members when necessary.
- Guides, coaches, and counsels the work of a full-time development associate.
- Demonstrates leadership, takes initiative, solves problems, and acts independently and as a member of a team.
- Successfully collaborates, handles multiple tasks simultaneously, and prioritizes.
- Demonstrates strategic thinking, good judgment, maturity, personal integrity, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy are essential.
- Excellent communication skills required, with the ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google, and web browsers(?) required.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- A minimum of five years of fundraising or comparable business experience, preferably in higher education, is desired.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate measurable success in fostering individual relationships in pursuit of organizational objectives and securing major gifts ($100k or more) from alumni, parents, friends, or organizations.
If you don’t fit all these qualifications, education, or experience, but believe you’re still a great fit, feel free to apply and tell us why in your cover letter.
Salary Range: $95,000 to $115,000 depending on experience.
Join the URIFAE team!
Join our growing team of advancement and engagement professionals. We offer competitive benefits, including medical, dental and vision, generous paid time off, and unparalleled retirement savings programs. URIFAE does not participate in the University of Rhode Island tuition waiver program.
Send your salary requirements, cover letter and resume to:
URI Foundation & Alumni Engagement
Attn: Director of Human Resources
79 Upper College Road
Kingston, RI 02881
In order to provide equal employment and advance opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at URIFAE will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. URIFAE does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
University of Rhode Island Foundation & Alumni EngagementLeo Perrone