RIHousing – Construction Manager
Salary - $72,772.72 - $ 105,520.46 Annually
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position is accountable for ensuring that all developments financed through RIHousing or other assigned federal and state programs are designed and constructed in accordance with all local, state, and federal building codes regulations, and funding requirements, as well as the design requirements established by RIHousing.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Manage Staff of 6-8
- Provide supervision and training for staff to ensure consistency with RIHousing Design and Construction Guidelines.
- Provide overall support to Assistant Director to ensure quality control and compliance with department guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Provide professional training and educational development opportunities to support staff success.
- Assist staff with day-to-day problem solving and decision making.
- Maintain strong team and work ethic within department.
- Review architectural drawings and design specifications of assigned development proposals to ensure that they meet RIHousing’s guidelines and code/zoning requirements.
- Evaluate and approve preliminary and final construction cost estimates, contractual agreements, and related loan documents to ensure that quality construction is provided at a reasonable price and in compliance with RIHousing guidelines.
- Conduct site inspections, reviews site reports and evaluate requisitions and change orders to ensure the appropriate expenditure of funds and that work is proceeding according to schedule, approved plans and specifications.
- Provide technical assistance to other departments and perform special projects as assigned.
What you’ll bring to the team:
This position supervises Construction Specialists working on various multi-family and homeownership projects. The incumbent assists Construction Specialists in the review and approval of architectural drawings, specifications, and related contract documents for all housing development proposals to ensure that they meet building code standards and zoning requirements. The incumbent also evaluates and approves project construction cost estimates to ensure that quality construction is being provided at a reasonable and fair market cost.
Once a development is approved for funding, the incumbent assigns the development to a Construction Specialist for project management. The incumbent reviews periodic requests for loan disbursements to ensure consistency with contract documents, including conducting site inspections, review of monthly payout summaries and reports, change orders and evaluating all affirmative action reports and prevailing wage data.
Incumbent attends construction meetings as needed, and reviews Housing Quality Standard (HQS) reports prepared by Construction Specialists to ensure that developments are being constructed and maintained according to the architectural drawings, specifications, and code, and as approved by RIHousing. He/she also reviews and approves all contractual agreements entered into by the owner to ensure that they are in accordance with RIHousing’s published guidelines and cost limits.
In this regard, incumbent must ensure he/she is up to date on all program requirements and works closely with the developer and he/she provides technical assistance as needed.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Associates degree in architecture, civil engineering, or related field (Bachelors preferred)
- Minimum ten years of construction industry experience with demonstrated knowledge of construction management including methods, techniques, specifications, materials, and equipment. Must be able to read and interpret design drawings and specifications for all types of housing
- Familiarity with code and regulatory requirements, AIA documents, and basic mortgage lending principles and procedures
- Working knowledge of construction cost estimating and accounting
- Previous experience supervising construction personnel
- Strong analytical, communications, technical report writing, computer and organizational skills
- Proficient with all Microsoft products, Project management and construction accounting programs
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Use of personal vehicle, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance is required
- Mission Driven Organization
- Dedicated Workforce
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Flexible Work Hours
- If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2021
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.