RIHousing – Mortgage Counselor/HO
Salary Range - $57,363.38 - $83,176.90
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it's all about:
This position is accountable for the functions associated with educating and counseling Rhode Island homeowners seeking foreclosure prevention services. This position will identify an appropriate workout or disposition for Rhode Island homeowners who are at risk of losing their homes.
What you'll do on a daily basis:
- Conduct comprehensive individual one-on-one counseling sessions.
- Identify the required tools and establish a system for assessing mortgage status, triaging customers, identifying obstacles, developing corrective action plans, assigning customer tasks, and facilitating customer progress toward their goal.
- Maintain and update the customer records both during and after each counseling session in individual files and adhere to all confidentiality procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure the quality control measures are followed, and that customer satisfaction is a priority of the counseling program.
- Meet or exceed monthly performance goals.
- Assist other staff with assigned special projects and other necessary tasks to achieve the overall goals and operate a successful foreclosure counseling program.
- Maintain schedule of appointments for counseling sessions and develop an effective and efficient system for customer follow-up
- Creates a hard-copy file for each counseling customer that includes the intake form, credit report, Counselor's analysis, income documentation, corrective action plan(s), negotiations with the loan servicer, and referral form to and from other service providers and other information as necessary.
- The incumbent will work closely with internal and external resources and community partners to ensure the homeowner has access to appropriate social service providers if necessary and budgeting and financial planning.
- The incumbent will work closely with Rhode Island Mediation Program's mediation coordinator to assist in foreclosure prevention. The mortgage Counselor will be present at mediation conferences acting as an advocate for the homeowner and working towards viable workout agreements to avoid foreclosure.
What you'll bring to the team:
This position provides critical guidance, education, and counseling to homeowners who are challenged by foreclosure prevention. The Mortgage Counselor specializes in loss mitigation and provides comprehensive individual counseling services to existing homeowners. The counseling sessions cover a broad array of areas related to the skills, knowledge, and confidence necessary to avoid foreclosure, manage finances and maintain or transition from their home.
The primary responsibilities of this position are to assess obstacles faced by the customer in retaining their home equity and create a corrective action plan. The Counselor will use budgeting, debt reduction, refinancing, and consumer awareness tools to facilitate the customer's progress toward retaining and sustaining or transitioning from their home. The incumbent performs financial review and analysis to create a financially sound plan for the homeowner either by a loan workout with the existing mortgage servicer or alternative housing options. The incumbent will focus their efforts on obtaining workout options, including loan modifications, forbearance agreements, and repayment plans. The incumbent will be working with the lender and the homeowner to develop an action plan specific to the client's goals.
What you'll need to succeed:
- Minimum 3 years experience in residential mortgage lending, underwriting, and loss mitigation guidelines with a working knowledge of prime and sub-prime loan products, modifications, forbearance agreements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of bankruptcy laws and tax sales
- Experience with counseling tracking systems
- Must have the ability to pass Housing Urban Development (HUD) counseling certification test within 90 days of employment date
- National trade association training and/or certification from NeighborWorks desired.
- Bilingual skills preferred; fluency in Spanish is preferable
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Flexible Work Hours
- If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of "Best Places to Work" 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2021
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.