Occupancy Specialist - Emergency Housing Voucher Program (EHV)
RIHousing – Occupancy Specialist -Emergency Housing Voucher Program (EHV)
Pay Rate - $21.16 - $29.45/hour
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This grant-funded position is accountable for the administration of admissions, occupancy procedures, and on-going eligibility work for the Housing Choice Voucher Program in accordance with appropriate federal (HUD) and state regulations, including the Emergency Housing Voucher program. This position will continue while the program is funded.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Perform admissions and occupancy procedures in accordance with federal (HUD) and state regulations
- Perform all duties related to voucher lease up including waiting list maintenance, eligibility screening, and updating processes to meet HUD requirements
- Serve as liaison with the Rhode Island Continuum of Care (RICoC) and the Rhode Island Coalition to End Homelessness (RICEH) to accept and process referrals in a timely manner
- Incumbent is responsible for the timely admission process of all Section 8 vouchers, specifically the Emergency Housing Vouchers, including maintenance of appropriate program wait lists, eligibility screening, and change/modification of admissions process to meet HUD requirements and corporation business needs.
- Process annual and interim tenant reexaminations, as well as tenant moves, to determine continued eligibility and subsidy level. Perform file documentation review and follow up; process third party verification forms; determine rent reasonableness, negotiate contract rents, calculate, and approve housing assistance payments and tenant rental amounts; prepare appropriate documentation/correspondence, and enter data into system
- Assist in drafting, editing, and revising procedures manuals and program documentation, and compile various statistical reports
- Perform special projects as assigned and provide program training to staff and external partners
What you’ll bring to the team:
The incumbent must be well versed in all aspects of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and keep current on changes in federal/state regulations.
The incumbent conducts briefing sessions and/or individual interviews with owners, applicants, and new clients to discuss eligibility requirements and to explain program guidelines, as required. Incumbent also assists in resolving landlord/tenant concerns through proper interpretation of program regulations, internal policies and/or legal documentation as necessary.
Incumbent provides guidance to the Program Representatives in resolving admissions/occupancy issues and resolves the more complex matters through proper interpretation of program regulations, internal policies and/or legal documentation as necessary.
Incumbent maintains a positive working relationship with various state agencies, non-profit organizations, owners, tenants, and public housing authorities to ensure applicant eligibility and program compliance.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Associates degree in real estate, business administration or related field preferred; and/or equivalent work experience required
- Five years related housing management experience
- Working knowledge of HUD regulations related to the Housing Choice Voucher program
- Good verbal and written communications skills, along with good organizational, negotiations, and computer skills
- Property management certification strongly preferred
- Bilingual ability preferred (particularly Spanish or Portuguese)
- Use of personal vehicle, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance is required
- Mission Driven Organization
- Dedicated Workforce
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Flexible Work Hours
- If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2021
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.