The University of Rhode Island Foundation & Alumni Engagement
The communications specialist will bring experience in writing and editing, as well as familiarity with design and layout, to work on a variety of print and digital projects to advance university development and alumni engagement efforts. The specialist will serve as a point person for project intake across the organization and keep project details organized for the marketing and communications department. In addition, this position will have opportunities to write, edit, and design print and digital materials.
Must have experience in a professional communications setting. Past use of project management software/platforms is strongly preferred. Experience with the creation and editing of video content is a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Track and coordinate communications and marketing projects.
- Write, edit, and proofread content in a variety of formats, consistent with approved style guidelines.
- Collaborate with members of other departments and other areas of the university to establish project timelines.
- Assist in building broadcast emails and event registration forms.
- Identify potential stories about noteworthy achievements by students, faculty, and alumni from departments across the university.
- Perform digital content updates.
- Upload photos and video content to approved platforms.
- Work on special projects as needed. Perform other duties as required.
- Occasional evening and weekend work may be required.
- Associate degree, preferably in English, communications, journalism, or related field.
- Three to five years’ experience in marketing communications in a professional setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong grammar, spelling and proofreading skills are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to schedule and handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in contributing to professional communications materials.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically with a wide array of people.
- Experience using web and social media analytics to measure effectiveness.
- Familiarity with web content management systems and broadcast email (e.g., iModules and Wordpress), social media platforms (LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), and basic HTML and web coding.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Graphic design and layout experience.
- Video shooting, production, or editing skills.
- Experience with university and alumni communications.
- Familiarity with fundraising/development/advancement for nonprofits.
- Experience in new media.
The highest degree of professionalism and discretion in dealing with donors and potentially sensitive matters of donor confidentiality is required.
If you don’t fit all these qualifications, education, or experience, but believe you’re still a great fit, feel free to apply and tell us why in your cover letter.
Join the URIFAE team!
Join our growing team of advancement and alumni engagement professionals. We offer competitive benefits, including medical, dental and vision, generous paid time off and retirement savings programs. One benefit that URIFAE does not participate in is the University of Rhode Island tuition waiver program.
Send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: URIFAE Attn: Leo Perrone, Director of Human Resources, 73 Upper College Road Kingston, RI 02881 or email it to us at URIFAEfirstname.lastname@example.org.
To provide equal employment and advance opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at URIFAE will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. URIFAE does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.