The RISD Museum Security Office is seeking dependable part-time Museum Security Officers with a strong sense of integrity.
The RISD Museum was founded on the belief that art, artists, and the institutions that support them play pivotal roles in promoting broad civic engagement and creating more open societies. As one of the three largest university art museums in the United States, the RISD Museum is a place for investigation, transformation, and creative process. The RISD Museum is committed to connecting a diverse public with a collection of art and design from the ancient past to the present day. The Museum Security Office is an essential part of the museum operations.
Museum Security Officers maintain order, reduce injury and reduce property loss at the Museum. They provide routine protection of galleries and visitors by making continuous tours throughout the Museum and informing visitors of museum rules. Officers serve as an initial security and safety responders for events and escalate and/or report as appropriate and respond politely and in a courteous, professional manner to visitors and staff. They also answer visitors' questions or direct visitors to someone who can answer.
The RISD Museum is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can learn and create. With the goal of increasing the diversity of the museum profession, we aspire to create a climate that recognizes and values diversity as central to excellence. As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Provide routine protection of galleries, visitors, and school tour groups by making continuous tours throughout the Museum and informing visitors of museum rules. Answer visitor’s questions or direct visitors to someone who can answer.
- Report missing or damaged artwork immediately. Ensure conditions are safe for visitors. Report any problems or exceptions immediately.
- Assigned to contractors who are performing work within the Museum. Ensure contractors are operating within the appropriate safety and security guidelines for Museum Operations.
- Provide initial response and assistance during emergency incidents, including fire, medical, and security.
- Ability to interact positively and effectively in a culturally diverse setting.
- Strong communication skills and dependability. Previous customer service experience required, with a strong preference for prior customer service experience in a higher education, museum, or related industry.
- Ability to complete written reports; follow and enforce standard operating procedures; and interact with visitors in a courteous and respectful manner while ensuring the safety of patrons and art.
- The ability to create a welcoming and engaging environment, as well as to communicate effectively in oral and written formats with multiple diverse populations, with demonstrated knowledge and skill to engage across a wide variety of individual differences and identities through meaningful interactions characterized by respect, mutual understanding, and reciprocity.
- Must be able to effectively navigate through difficult conversations and use de-escalation skills and strategies, as needed.
- High School diploma or GED required.
Yes; Museum Guards Association
Part-time; 21 hours/week. There are multiple schedules available. Specific schedules will be discussed with candidates at the time of interviews. Weekends will be required.
Documents Needed to Apply
Cover Letter (required)
Salary Grade Structure
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Click here to apply.