Junior Accountant - Servicing
RIHousing – Junior Accountant - Servicing
Hourly Rate - $23.02 - $32.22
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it's all about:
This position is responsible for daily accounting functions and accurate and timely postings of financial transactions for RIHousing's various programs and support for the Finance Division. The position is responsible for maintaining records and accounts, analyzing ledgers, preparing wire transfers, and processing cash receipts and cash disbursements.
What you'll do on a daily basis:
- Process and apply cash receipts, specifically as related to customer payments and payoffs.
- Process disbursements, including check requests, ACH payments, and wire transfers.
- Enter data into the general ledger and subsidiary systems in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare daily and monthly reconciliations.
- Prepare and submit reporting information as required by third-party partners.
- Performs special projects/research as needed.
- Understand the applicable policies, procedures, controls, and authorization levels related to the Junior Accountant's job function.
What you'll bring to the team:
The position's responsibilities include data entry, application of cash receipts, processing of accounts payable, daily reconciliations, and research. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Post cash receipts to the appropriate general ledger accounts using the Cash Management system. Reconcile daily activity posted to bank balances. Prepare bank deposits and initiate ACH and wire transfers. Resolve discrepancies with deposit relationships, including bank and lockbox vendors.
Record customer loan payments in the loan servicing system. Process payoffs and other cash transactions in accordance with instructions provided. Balance all daily transactions posted in the loan servicing system to cash deposits. Prepare and process cash transfers to appropriate investor accounts per daily system reporting. Process checks for the disbursement of customer escrow and reserve funds in accordance with instructions and backup provided.
Maintain accurate accounting records and controls by following policies and procedures, complying with federal, state, and local financial and legal requirements.
Professionally perform customer service functions. Customer service interaction includes both internal and external customers. Communicate with servicers, trustees, vendors, grant program coordinators, and other government agencies.
Prepare reports as required by Treasury, State of RI, HUD, IRS, or RIHousing management. Such reporting may include grant reporting and compliance related to audits, IRS Forms 1098 and 1099 reporting and reporting to Loan servicing and Homeownership departments.
Working under time pressure, independently managing priorities, and adherence to deadlines are important for success in this role.
Recognize peak times, complete a high volume of tasks, and seek additional tasks and opportunities for cross-training during low volume periods. Participate in special projects or research as required.
What you'll need to succeed:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration, or related field is preferred
- 2-3 years experience in accounting functions such as accounts payable/receivable or cash management
- knowledge of or experience in the Financial or Mortgage industry
- hands-on experience working with general ledger and ERP systems
- strong analytical and problem-solving skills, detail-oriented
- ability to work in a multi-project environment and adhere to deadlines
- strong communication skills
- proficiency using Microsoft excel
- Mission-Driven Organization
- Dedicated Workforce
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Flexible Work Hours
- If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of "Best Places to Work" 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2021
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.