Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks an Accountant to join the General Accounting team within the Controller's Office. The Controller's Office is responsible for the stewardship of the college’s financial resources, including internal and external financial reporting, oversight of payroll, responsibility for grant, contract and tax reporting. This includes preparation of the quarterly and annual financial statements and tax filings. The Controller’s Office also supports the functioning of the Audit, Finance and Investment committees of the Board of Trustees, and oversees financial compliance related to higher education regulations and debt issuance.
The Accountant performs professional work in the area of accounting, analysis and reporting as assigned. Specifically, the Accountant is responsible for assisting in drafting financial statements and reports, as well as tax reports for review and approval by the Assistant Controller. Prepares journal entries, reconciliations and assists with other aspects of the year-end audit and monthly closings. Maintains internal accounting systems, including general ledger, fixed assets and restricted and designated funds. Prepares audit schedules and notes to financial statements. Follows proper accounting best practices. The successful candidate will thrive in a campus environment that is committed to advancing the principles of social equity and inclusion, environmental and climate justice, and equal access to resources and opportunities.
As an employer, RISD offers a supportive, collegial, and inclusive work environment and a competitive benefits package.
- Analyzes and reviews accounts; prepares journal entries, reconciliations, and financial reports as assigned.
- Responds to auditor requests and assists with other aspects of the year-end audit and monthly closings.
- Completes reconciliations for balance sheet accounts.
- As assigned, prepares timely, draft financial reports for review and approval by the Assistant Controller. The reports include, but are not limited to, the Workday periodic financial statements and related footnotes in accordance with GAAP
- Assist in the preparation of draft tax reports for review and approval by the Assistant Controller.
- The reports include, but are not limited to, the IRS Forms 990 and 990T.
- Prepares ad-hoc reports and analyses as requested for accounting and administrative use.
- Identifies and recommends process improvements and efficiencies as appropriate.
- Routinely uses the financial accounting system report writing tool.
- Maintains the general ledger. Ensures that proper accounting practices are followed for the data entered into the accounting system. Processes the monthly closing of the accounting records on the financial system. Coordinates and processes the annual closing and roll forward of the accounting records.
- Responsible for maintaining the fixed asset accounting system. This involves complete knowledge of the software program, accounting practices in regards to capitalizing fixed assets and appropriate years for depreciation, and an analysis of the plant fund and related audit and Bureau of Census reports.
- Maintains a system for restricted and designated funds, including reporting to college
- departments. Interprets restrictions and reviews for donor documentation before releasing to expendable accounts. Answers inquiries from department heads, IE, and Provost Office.
- Prepares audit schedules for all restricted gifts, grants, endowed and investment funds.
- Prepare notes to financial statements including investments, pledges, endowment market/cost values, museum revenues and acquisitions.
- Ability to interact positively and effectively in a culturally diverse setting
- Demonstrated ability to complete financial reports and analyses.
- Demonstrated success in monitoring fiscal compliance of federal grants and understanding grant guidelines and regulations including, but not limited to knowledge of single audit requirements and grants.gov.
- Ability to design and develop financial reports and queries using report writing tools.
- Independent thought and judgment as well as personal initiative in completing required and assigned tasks.
- Exhibit proficiency in computer skills, and in Microsoft Excel
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three years’ combined experience in auditing, financial reporting, and/or accounting.
- Experience in a higher educational or non-profit environment.
- A strong knowledge of principles and practices within higher education accounting.
- Experience with tax reporting and compliance.
- Workday or similar platform experience.
35 hours per week;12 months per year
Full-time; Exempt; Regular
Documents Needed to Apply
Cover Letter (required)
Salary Grade Structure
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Click here to apply.