SEG Announces the Launch of Longevity and Aging Initiative
Social Enterprise Greenhouse (SEG) is thrilled to announce the official launch of their Longevity and Aging initiative to create a supportive ecosystem for the growth of social enterprises focused on innovative solutions to improve the aging experience.
Although SEG works with social enterprises from all industries, over the past few years they have adopted an industry initiative approach to customize their services and drive impact in areas where needs are most critical in the state. These industries include local healthy food, environment, public health, and now as a subcategory of health, longevity and aging.
Over the past year, SEG has worked closely with Longevity and Aging entrepreneurs and stakeholders in an effort to understand the needs in the field and understand ways SEG services could be additive to existing efforts. As a result of these conversations and several aging related events, SEG plans to 1) host monthly breakfast events to convene Longevity and Aging stakeholders, 2) recruit entrepreneurs focused on Longevity and Aging for SEG’s business development services such as the Incubator, Accelerator, and coworking at the SEG Hub and 3) more intentionally recruit older entrepreneurs and volunteer advisors into the SEG network.
“We are seeing innovative businesses and services targeting every aspect of the Longevity Economy–from brain science to behavioral health, from memory cafes to food security for older members of the population,” said Meg Wirth, Health and Wellness Initiative Director at SEG. “Equally important to SEG is prioritizing the ingenuity and experience of entrepreneurs and advisors who are 60 years of age and older.”
SEG began its work in Longevity Aging as early as 2016. SEG was an institutional partner for Aging 2.0, serving as the host for the Rhode Island Aging 2.0 pitch competition in 2016. In 2017, the organization helped organize the Tapping into the Silver Economy event, which brought together 300 academic, corporate, entrepreneur, nonprofit, and government stakeholders to discuss innovations helping seniors thrive. Over the years, SEG has also supported social ventures focused on Longevity and Aging. Examples include:
Entrepreneurs in the space view SEG as a valued partner.
- For Philo enables moments of joy for people living with dementia and their loved ones through mass-customized games that are engaging, age-appropriate activities that restore dignity.
- WatchRX is a wearable with sensor technology to assist older adults with medication reminders and is coupled with a GPS tracking device for location sharing with caregivers.
- Doctor's Choice is a Medicare concierge service assisting older adults with choosing the best Medicare plan for them. Started in Rhode Island, they are now going national.
- Aging Easily provides Rhode Island seniors, caregivers and professionals the complete resources they need to address the growing needs of our aging community.
- Savory Fare is a meal delivery service serving healthy tasty food for the elderly.
“SEG opened up a whole network of experienced business people who wanted me to do well – from the teachers of the classes, to the SEG staff, to my coach and the friendships made with other entrepreneurs” said Mary Hughes, founder of Savory Fare.
“We’re grateful for the amount of exposure and press we’ve received through being highlighted by SEG which has been helpful in making us well known locally. We look forward to continuing our relationship and helping when we can,” said Dr. Johnny Luo, founder of Doctor’s Choice.
Upcomings Longevity & Aging events include:
- Fri, March 29, 2019, 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM EDT at SEG, 10 Davol Square, Providence - Aging & Longevity Networking Breakfast: Nutrition and Food Security featuring Savory Fare, EvanLee Organics, and Bellicchi’s Best Biscotti
- Fri, April 26, 2019, 8:00 AM – 9:30 AM EDT at SEG, 10 Davol Square, Providence - Aging & Longevity Networking Breakfast: Nutrition and Food Security featuring ‘Silver Apron’ presentation by University of Rhode Island and Age Friendly Rhode Island and startups focused on delivering food