Director of Development
The Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce is seeking an experienced, self-driven, metrically minded professional to serve as Director of Development for Rhode Island’s largest private sector business advocacy and membership organization.
Reporting to the President, the Director of Development will cultivate a strong membership base by recruiting new businesses and retaining existing businesses in the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce’s statewide network of connected companies and organizations. This is a high-profile position driving a key aspect of the organization’s important mission as the leading voice of business in Rhode Island.
As one of Rhode Island’s most prominent organizations, the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce has long committed to be a positive force in the overall economic development of Rhode Island. By leveraging the collective power of its business, civic and not-for-profit members, the GPCC is a leader in promoting corporate social responsibility and showcasing the business community as a force for good.
- Actively build and manage a portfolio of members and prospects who believe in the power of a strong and civically engaged business community;
- Recruit new members with the inclination to be activists and leaders and identify ways to quickly integrate them with fellow members for the purposes of mutual business success;
- Perform retention activities with existing members and assist them in achieving their unique business goals;
- Achieve monthly, quarterly and annual financial goals that comprise the dues-paying portion of the GPCC’s overall budget;
- Generate engagement strategies at the individual and corporate levels to solidify relationships throughout the organization;
- Use journey mapping tools to deliver Chamber relationships, products and services that deliver desired results for members;
- Participate in the GPCC’s signature events that draw members, government officials and community leaders.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of experience --- with preferred experience in development or member relations
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding financial goals of $800,000+
- Skilled in prospecting, pipeline and relationship building, and closing on commitments
- Strong verbal/written communication competencies with the ability to articulate the value proposition of advocacy work
- Self-directed, organized, and familiar with the language of business
- Experience with data management tools and social media platforms
The successful candidate will *thrive* using performance metrics to track financial and member engagement outcomes.
This is a full-time, exempt, salary + bonus position that offers significant growth and income potential. Please apply with resume and cover letter highlighting your experience in development and engagement. Explain how you go about discerning what is of value to your customer during the cultivation process and then delivering on the promise during the lifetime of the relationship. Also please describe your process for using metrics to achieve specified benchmarks.
The application deadline is October 31, 2019. Responses should be sent to Valerie Murray, senior vice president/administration and finance, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.