RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This grant funded position is a senior level professional position responsible for completion and review of various accounting and financial reporting functions as well as ensuring that the financial data is recorded and reported in accordance with applicable policies/procedures/standards. Responsible for more complex accounting functions, analysis and review of general ledger accounts and preparation of financial statements. Works with the Accounting Manager to identify and implement efficiencies in the accounting processes. This position is responsible for training, supervising and mentoring staff, as appropriate. This position will continue while the program is funded.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
This position performs a variety of complex accounting, analysis, reconciliation, research and reporting functions daily as assigned. Some of specific job functions are as follows:
Prepare and record asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
Maintain and balance accounts by verifying, allocating, posting, reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies. Review the trial balance and reconcile entries monthly.
Assist in the preparation of balance sheet, profit and loss, and cash flow statements. with various audits through analysis and preparation of supporting schedules as requested.
Reconcile bank statements monthly for numerous checking and investment accounts. Record related activity and verify accuracy of the General ledger account. Work with staff on proper posting of transactions.
Perform research and review to resolve identified reconciliation issues. Prepare monthly journal entries. Assist with analysis of general ledger accounts and other financial information.
Prepare backup documentation for regulatory reporting.
Recommend, develop and implement changes to accounting functions to improve accuracy and efficiency. Document procedures.
What you’ll bring to the team:
Accurate and timely financial statements are critical to the agency's accessibility to financial markets. Understanding of the deadlines and the ability to plan accordingly is a critical component of this role.
Work on special projects as needed. Projects may require interactions with Finance, IT as well as other departments within the Company. He/she works closely with accounting, treasury and IT staff on a variety of projects such as account consolidations, cash management, wire transfer procedures, etc.
Understand and protect the confidentiality of certain information that be may needed as part of this role.
Expand knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- 5 to 10 years of accounting experience, preferably in a mortgage banking or financial institution
- Demonstrated knowledge of computerized financial and accounting systems
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field required
- CPA or Master’s degree preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Experience with computerized ledger systems
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to function well in a team-oriented environment
- Supervisory experience a plus
- This position is subject to a background and credit investigation.
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2019
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.
RIHousing uses its resources to provide low-interest loans, grants, education and assistance to help Rhode Islanders find, rent, buy, build, and keep a good home. Created by the General Assembly in 1973, RIHousing is a privately funded public purpose corporation. RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island's housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners and fellow employees.