Assistant Director - Housing Programs
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position is accountable for the effective management of multiple federal, state and RIHousing programs to provide affordable housing opportunities to low income and special needs populations in the State of Rhode Island. Responsibilities include oversight of the HOME Program, Building Homes Rhode Island and Lead Programs. Incumbent also assists the Division Director in formulating policies, financial and strategic planning, providing assistance to the Housing Resources Commission and overseeing other operating functions as required.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Develops short and long-term strategic planning for the HOME Program, while at the same time, serving as the public spokesperson for the program and establishing and maintaining partnerships with customers, key groups and organizations that enable RIH to provide housing opportunities for low-income Rhode Islanders.
- Develops and implements policies, procedures and systems to effectively administer a variety of housing programs.
- Administers assigned housing programs on a daily basis to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and program requirements.
- Reviews and analyzes funding/grant applications and makes recommendations for funding based on prudent credit and underwriting standards.
- Provides technical assistance and performs special assignments or research as directed.
- Provides supervision and training to the Coordinators to ensure the cost-effective administration of all assigned programs.
- Ensures that all assigned management reports are prepared in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assists that Division Director in overseeing other functions and with program development and financial/strategic planning as required.
What you’ll bring to the team:
This position supervises and trains the staff to ensure that RIHousing’s policies and priorities are implemented in the community through for-profit and non-profit funding programs, technical assistance, research, housing program development and planning. Incumbent manages the work flow of employees; establishes and maintains performance standards; reviews Board presentations; develops and implements appropriate staff training programs; and provides assistance in resolving complex operational and human resource issues.
Incumbent develops and implements policies, procedures and systems to effectively administer a variety of housing programs including the HOME Program, the Building Homes Rhode Island Program and the Lead Program. He/she ensures that programs and policies are consistent with internal policies and regulatory guidelines and oversees the availability of technical assistance to for-profit and non-profits, municipalities, and community groups. In this regard, incumbent communicates policies and housing goals to a variety of agencies and organizations in the community.
Incumbent develops and maintains working relationships with federal, state and local government officials, agencies, lenders, non-profit groups and other interested parties regarding program issues. He/she works with these groups to identify, analyze and recommend solutions to the state’s affordable housing needs and identifies grants and funding opportunities.
This position assists the Division Director in overseeing other functions within the Development Division as required. He/she also assists with program development, new initiatives, budgeting and strategic planning and provides technical assistance to other divisions. In this regard, incumbent works closely with other senior managers.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Significant management experience in government, community planning, community development or real estate/housing related industry with demonstrated knowledge of federal/state housing programs
- Experience leading a creative team and providing mentorship, guidance and clear communication
- Ability to adapt to a changing business environment and flexibility to incorporate evolving regulations and guidelines into work
- Experience with non-profit groups, local communities, and state agencies
- Ability to conceptualize and implement new housing programs, requires experience in soliciting, evaluating and structuring commercial real estate transactions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, negotiation, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2019
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.