- Responsible for developing and implementing Verizon's legislative strategy, community engagement tactics and content in support of company goals and positions across all business units enterprise-wide with a focus on issues including technology deployment.
- Responsible for representing Verizon and working with third parties to influence policy makers at the municipal and state government level in the city of Providence and the state of Rhode Island.
- Accountable for strengthening VZ’s political impact using extensive government experience and network.
- Supports Verizon state regulatory team to influence decisions in key regulatory initiatives.
- Responsibilities relate to identifying and influencing proposed state legislative activities working with advocates.
- Plans and executes strategies to ensure that any state legislation has a positive or neutral impact on the company.
- Interacts with members of the state's executive branch and with members of state and municipal legislative bodies.
- Keeps management informed of pending legislation.
- Serves as primary strategic liaison to company affiliations, special business, third party groups, grassroots local influencers and thought leaders.
- Provides team direction on communicating key messages and strategic initiatives to stakeholders.
- Plans and develops strategic messaging.
- Represents Verizon in a variety of forums including providing testimony at committee meetings/hearings that address legislation impacting Verizon.
- Compiles competitive intelligence.
- Responsibilities relate to identifying and influencing proposed state and local legislative activities.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of experience in state and municipal government relations.
- Experience in advocacy/issues management, community organizing, and coalition-building.
- Knowledge of regulatory and legislative processes at the municipal and state level
- Experience in the development, management and advocacy of telecommunications policies and positions.
- Knowledge concerning economic regulation in the communications, cable, or utilities industries.
- Willingness to travel.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Valid driver's license.
Even better if you have:
- A degree.
- Network of contacts at the municipal level in metropolitan Providence and or state legislature in Rhode Island.
- Highest level of personal integrity.
- Broad knowledge of Verizon operations and business functions or extensive positioning already established in territory.
- Law degree.
- Public policy, community engagement, advocacy experience on behalf of a technology, communications, cable TV or public utilities business/industry.
- Demonstrated skills in negotiating issues in support of corporate goals and objectives.
- Ability to work both during normal business hours, as well as, evenings and weekends should the circumstances require availability.
- Leadership skills.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.