Director of High School Initiatives
About PASA The Providence After School Alliance’s (PASA) mission is to help close persistent opportunity gaps by expanding and improving quality after school, summer and other OST learning opportunities for all the youth of Providence. PASA does this by operating a system of public-private partnerships that contributes to student success and serves as a national model. PASA’s partnership model engages middle and high school youth in a variety of learning opportunities that spark their curiosity, connect them to real world experiences, and allow them to explore their interests. For additional information on the PASA, go to www.mypasa.org.
PASA is seeking a full-time Director of High School Initiatives. The Director will be responsible for managing PASA’s core high school initiatives: the Hub which runs after school programs as part of 21st Century Community Learning Centers at the Juanita Sanchez Educational Complex and Hope High School and the credit-bearing Advanced Course Network after school classes which are grounded in hands-on, work-based experiences and are funded by the RI Department of Education. The Director of High School Initiatives will report directly to PASA’s Deputy Director.
Major Roles and Responsibilities
Planning & Operations
- Manage the Hub staff, including coaching, day-to-day supervision, training and ongoing professional development
- Work closely with major foundation and government funders
- Support linkages to youth employment and internship experiences offered by the city, state, and career pathway organizations
- Support and grow relationships with program providers, industry partners, schools, youth and families
- Manage the Hub’s budgets, including tracking day-to-day expenditures, the creation of expense reports, and expense forecasting in collaboration with PASA’s CFO
- Spearhead the ongoing refinement of and connections between the Hub’s program models of club and credit-bearing opportunities
- Work with PASA senior staff to ensure systematic and programmatic connections between the AfterZone and the Hub
- Prioritize the ongoing evaluation of youth, program, and system-level outcomes with PASA’s senior team to monitor project goals and outcomes for performance management
- Support the ongoing sharing of best practices with high school partners and connect partners to relevant trainings and professional development opportunities
- Ensure the ongoing alignment of ACN program curricula with RIDE requirements and national academic standards
- Represent PASA at national meetings and conferences focused on high school activities
- Actively engage stakeholders in advisory work groups that help inform and shape the growth of the high school initiative
- Foster relationships with Providence’s Office of Economic Opportunity to inform a partnership strategy for summer and school year career pathway work for high school students throughout Providence
a) BA Education or related work experience with at least 4 years supervising education and enrichment programs with high school-age youth
b) Proven experience in youth development and community-based programs
c) Ability to interact and positively engage with high school students and community partners.
d) Experience facilitating planning and program design and implementation work with school administration and faculty, as well as community and state policy leaders
e) Ability to serve as a senior manager overseeing an initiative serving 300 high school youth
f) Experience managing budgets
g) Experience working in community-based and education programs, with a clear understanding of urban education, after school and career pathway policy issues
h) Strong writing and communication skills
i) Experience supervising staff
j) Experience working with high school youth or in a school setting
k) Highly proficient with technology (Microsoft office, Google Drive, etc.)
a) Knowledge of high school national design and innovation work and familiarity with student centered learning and competency-based learning approaches and research
b) Working knowledge of Providence Schools and Providence communities
c) Fluency in Spanish (or other languages)
d) Experience working in public high schools
e) Experience working with databases, online resources, etc.
f) Master’s degree or equivalent, along with 3+ years of related professional experience
The salary range is the low to mid $50Ks plus benefits, depending upon experience.
To apply for the position, please submit a current resume along with cover letter to:Eric Collins
Providence After School Alliance
81 Carpenter Providence, RI 02903
PASA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
PASA prohibits discrimination in employment, educational programs, and activities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, socioeconomic status, disability or handicap, age, marital status, family responsibilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity/expression, domestic partnership status or HIV status. PASA also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to PASA facilities.