Construction Specialist/LEAD Lead Safe Homes Program
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position is accountable for enforcing all requirements for lead inspection and abatement activities for RI/HUD Lead Hazard Reduction Program. Also ensure compliance with HUD, EPA & OSHA standards in developments financed through RIHousing such as HOME, BHRI of other assigned programs.
RIHousing oversees the construction and leading aspects of Lead Hazard Reduction Programs on behalf of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and the State of RIHousing Resources Commission.
What you’ll do on daily basis:
- Perform Housing Quality Standards inspections to ensure that the properties comply with minimum requirements, also reviews all lead inspection reports summitted by private lead inspectors for completeness and accuracy. Incumbent documents and informs the inspector of any errors or missing information. He/she identifies and resolves any discrepancies with lead inspectors.
- Work with property owners, including nonprofit organizations, to prepare specifications and work orders for the treatment of interior, exterior, soil and water lead hazards identify in the inspection reports. Conducts a review of the specifications with the homeowner and contractor. This position reviews all bid proposals from contractors for completeness and reasonableness. Also assists in the closing process.
- Monitor the lead abatement process from day one, including timely inspections during construction and document progress on properties. He/she reviews the completed work of contractors including a final clearance with the homeowner and authorize/coordinates the lead inspector final inspection. Ensures compliance with all program specifications, regulations and the property are lead safe. This position also prepares and authorizes payments to contractors and inspectors for completed work, prepares and review appropriate documentation and prepares and negotiates change orders.
- Serve as a program ambassador, with community organizations, homeowners, government agencies, cities and towns to promote the program. Also, to bring leverage funds towards healthier homes.
- Market new contractors to the program by guide and educating them thru the entire process to become register contractors with RIHousing Lead Homes Program.
- Work with the Healthy Homes Specialist, scheduling the HQS/HH inspections together, photograph and document all hazards, assisting the Healthy Homes Specialist with the specifications, product information, photographing and documenting the completion of the Healthy Homes work
- Incumbent works on other special programs and projects as assigned.
- Preform an HQS/HH inspection (Pre-CELI)
- Educate the Homeowner (s) about RI Housing Lead Program, Healthy Homes Program and their complete process.
- Assemble a Pre-CELI estimate
- Accurately review inspection reports submitted by private lead inspectors, to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Prepares specifications for property owners based on lead inspection reports, photos, and notes taken at the HQS inspections.
- Create a complete Bid Package.
- Oversee the complete Contractor Walk Through and its process.
- Review bid proposals from contractors to ensure completeness and feasibility.
- Monitors lead abatement process, including conducting timely on-site inspections, on-site spec review, change orders (as needed), final inspection, documenting progress and authorizing payments.
- Preform special projects or research as assigned.
- Assist DOH (Department of Health) with Emergency Super Cleans.
- Assist other City Program/CDBG Funding/Sited Properties.
- Work closely with the R.I Historical Preservation Society on all historical projects, to ensure an acceptable Bid Package (Required by HUD).
- Review Architectural drawing and design specification of assigned developmental proposal, to ensure repairs and management activities are completed in accordance with HUD Guidelines.
- Assist in the evolving Policy and Procedures up-dating (as needed).
- Assist in the recruitment and training of new contractors.
- Minimum 3 years of construction industry experience, extensive knowledge of lead inspection and lead hazard reduction activities including the Rules and Regulations for Lead Poisoning Prevention
- Licensed lead hazard reduction contractor or certified lead inspector preferred
- Experience working with private inspectors and contractors as well as homeowners and nonprofit organizations
- Strong analytical, communications and computer skills
- Associates degree in architecture, civil engineering or related field (Bachelors preferred); and/or equivalent work experience required
- Use of personal vehicle, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance is required.
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/ Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2019
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.
RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island's housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and a deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners and fellow employees.
Apply at https://www.rihousing.com/careers