FLSA: Non-Exempt REPORTS TO: Accounting Manager
DEPT/DIV: Finance GRADE: B2-4
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission we:
• Offer competitive and innovative single family and multi family lending programs.
• Provide housing related education to consumers and others.
• Finance development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
• Invest housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
RIHousing uses its resources to provide low-interest loans and grants to help Rhode Islanders find, rent, buy, build and keep a good home. Created by the General Assembly in 1973, RIHousing is a privately funded public purpose corporation.
RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island's housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and a deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners and fellow employees.
This position is responsible for daily accounting functions and accurate and timely postings of financial transactions for RIHousing’s various programs as well as support for the Finance Division. The position is responsible for maintaining records,and accounts, analyzing ledgers, prepare wire transfers, and processing and receiving payments.
The position performs a variety of data entry, posting, reconciliation and research functions on a daily basis. These are usually performed under short timeframes to maximize investment returns and include, but are not limited to, the following:
Maintains financial records by analyzing balance sheet and general ledger accounts. Reconciles bank accounts by gathering and balancing information. Provides financial status information by preparing special reports; completing special projects..
Maintain general ledger accounts by reconciling accounts payable detail, accounts receivable detail and control accounts; posting adjusting entries; analyzing and reconciling accounts ledgers;.
Maintaisn accounting controls by following policies and procedures; complying with federal, state and local financial legal requirements.
Receives accounts receivable or loan payment checks; posts same to appropriate subsidiary accounts, reconciles and prepares bank deposits. Initiates wire transfers up to authorized limit and processes disbursement/check requests in accordance with applicable policies/procedures and program requirements.
Performs initiation of wire transfers for all cash accounts. Performs verification of all AP disbursements.
Keeps records of financial transactions; verifies and allocates details of transactions; enters into computerized general ledger and subsidiary systems as well as excel tracking sheets; reconciles and resolves discrepancies and communicates with servicers, trustees, vendors and other government agencies.
Perform customer service functions in a professional and respectful way both internally with other departments and externally. Prepares monthly invoices and generates all required reports or spreadsheets to accurately reflect monthly activity.
Prepares periodic reports as requested by Treasury, State of RI, IRS or RIHousing management and processes annual IRS Forms 1098 and 1099 as assigned.
Position performs special projects or research as assigned.
Flexibility to adapt to peak periods of heavy volume, work under pressure and meet deadlines is an important aspect of this position. Ability to independently manage priorities, complete a high volume of tasks at any given time and to take on additional tasks during low volume periods is critical.
- Processes and records cash receipts, disbursement/check requests and wire transfers in accordance with applicable policies/procedures and program requirements.
- Keeps records of financial transactions and enters data into computerized general ledger and subsidiary systems in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepares invoices and generates financial reports as required in accordance with applicable policies/procedures and program requirements.
- Analyze and balance bank & trustee accounts and general ledgers.
- Prepare and file compliance and other reports as needed.
- Performs special projects/research as assigned.
- 2-3 years experience in accounting functions such as accounts payable/receivable or cash management.
- knowledge of federal/state housing assistance programs.
- hands on experience working with general ledgers.
- strong analytical and problem-solving skills with aptitude for figures; detail oriented.
- ability to work in multi-project environment and to meet deadlines.
- strong communications and computer skills, including ERP systems.
- proficiency using Microsoft excel.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration or related field is required; or equivilant work experience
To Apply: Please visit www.rihousing.com under career opportunities.