POSITION: Director of Accounting FLSA: Exempt DATE: 3/19
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer DEPT/DIV: Finance GRADE: D6-3
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission, we:
• Offer competitive and innovative single family and multifamily lending programs.
• Provide housing related education to consumers and others.
• Finance development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
• Invest housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
RIHousing uses its resources to provide low-interest loans and grants to help Rhode Islanders find, rent, buy, build and keep a good home. Created by the General Assembly in 1973, RIHousing is a privately funded public purpose corporation.
RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island's housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and a deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners and fellow employees.
JOB SUMMARY: Provide leadership, direction, and oversight of the Accounting Department and all accounting, budgeting and financial reporting functions. Maintain extremely high standards of internal controls to minimize risk and ensure the accuracy of financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
JOB FUNCTIONS: This position manages the daily operations of the accounting department through supervision and training of accounting staff. Duties include managing the work flow of employees; establishing and maintaining high performance standards; development and implementation of appropriate training programs; and aiding in resolving complex accounting and financial reporting issues.
Accurate and timely financial statements are critical to RIhousing's accessibility to financial markets. This position is responsible for the accurate preparation and distribution of monthly/quarterly/annual financial statements as well as the annual budget and ensures that an appropriate system of internal accounting and controls is maintained. Management of the external financial and single audit process is required as well as all regulatory agency audits. Accountable for coordination and preparation of vendor tax forms and subsidiary entities tax returns.
Incumbent develops and implements policies, procedures and systems to accurately account for all RIHousing funds and to provide for proper custodianship of said funds. He/she ensures that all accounting procedures are in compliance with generally accepted accounting practices, applicable laws/regulations and grant program guidelines. Incumbent keeps current on changes in accounting standards established by the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), as well as applicable federal/state laws/regulations; maintains current procedures manuals and advises staff of changes as required.
This position assists the CFO with complex financial analysis projects and participates in the bond issuance process as required. He/she also assists with program development, new initiatives and strategic planning and provides technical assistance to other divisions on accounting issues. In this regard, incumbent works closely with other senior managers. Ability to present, explain and discuss financial operations and report to executive management and/or Board of Directors.
- Manage the daily operations of the accounting department to ensure that the financial statements are correct and that all accounting and financial reporting functions are performed in an accurate and timely manner in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures and systems to ensure that appropriate internal controls are maintained to protect assets and minimize exposure in financial transactions. Analyze, identify and improve areas that present financial or operational risk throughout RIHousing.
- Manage the annual budget process, cost allocations and reporting.
- Manage the external financial audit, federal single audit and regulatory program compliance audits.
- Ensure that all assigned management reports are prepared in an accurate and timely manner.
- Assist CFO with financial analysis, bond issuance, program development, strategic planning and technical assistance as required. Participate in leadership activities for various internal and external committees and strategic initiatives.
- Minimum ten years progressive experience in managing a general and subsidiary accounting function, including staff supervision and training, with demonstrated knowledge of fund and grant accounting, bond financing and information systems;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Ability to understand and analyze complex transactions and to extract critical elements from large amounts of data;
- Ability to prioritize
- Work under pressure and maintain a positive attitude
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Internal controls and financial reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field required, advanced degree preferred.
- CPA strongly preferred
To Apply: Please visit www.rihousing.com under career opportunities.